Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Did I mention that it's freaking hot?

It's freaking hot here.  I mean really freaking hot.  And before you roll your eyes at my feeble Washington rump, I beg the question: does 90 degrees really ever feel cool to you?  I would argue that it really doesn't matter if it's 117 degrees somewhere else.  90 degrees is freaking hot.  Especially when you live in a state where no one installs air conditioning in their homes... because it never gets this hot... except for when it does.  And then you ask yourself, "Why did I think I don't need air conditioning?"

Well, the side benefit, I suppose, is that my little baby zucchini--the surprise baby that I was not expecting so early--doubled its size in one day.  So we got to eat it tonight!  Yay!  And man oh man, there is nothing like the taste of zucchini that was still attached to the mother ship not five minutes prior to consumption.

Oh, and did I mention the surprise second crop of peas?  So thoughtful of them to throw a little more our way before croaking completely.

So yeah.  Squash devoured.  Peas devoured.  Happy tummies all.

My pretties.
Yes, please.

The three year old was done waiting.

The thirty-three year old was also done waiting.

Turns out the heat can make a person a little crazy.

Or maybe just a little more crazy than usual.

This rule also applies to small children.



Anyway, the moral of the story is: if you can't beat the heat, you might as well enjoy some fresh, homegrown veggies.

The end.







No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Learning how to hobby-garden on my patio and in a small flower bed. I live in the pacific northwest, so it can be pretty challenging with all the rain we get, and with the short growing season.