Wednesday, July 24, 2013

I decided to take my own advice

Yep!  I weeded!  Unfortunately, I didn't get pics of all the gloriously weed free garden until a week later, so it's not perfectly weed free like it was.  Still, it looks better than it has in a long time.

By way of proof--weed free!

As you can see, the beans are doing pretty well.  Not getting many beans off them though.  I'm wondering if I'm feeding them the wrong thing.  Gonna give them a few more days.  Maybe they're just trying to catch up.

But in case you're wondering about the other legumes, I hacked off half of Climby and threw it in the compost pile.  I left the bottom half on the trellis, thinking maybe I'd try a fall crop and have the new ones climb the old ones.  But I'm not sure, it might be too late to bother planting a fall crop.  It all kinda depends on whether or not I can find seeds.  I haven't started looking for them yet, mind you.  But it's almost August, so I dunno.  Unless I get them in the ground tomorrow (yeah, not gonna happen) it seems pointless.

But what do I know about fall crops?

As crazy as it seems, one of them keeps trying to grow back!  It's already gained six inches in a week.  Nuts.

Beanly.  I still have a mole trying to dig here.  I stuck the hose down into its hole like I always do, and I could actually see the ground plumping up on the other side of the plant bed.  I think the little varmint was actually trying to get away!

Anyway, moving on.  Squishy is looking pretty wrung out.  Still putting out squash, but it's definitely slowing down.  And it's tending towards only putting one gender every day rather than both.  We'll see how much further he goes.

Are they working you too hard, Squishy?  You look like you need a vacation!
Good job, Squishy!  Bringing more fruits to the table!


The crookneck plants are doing pretty well.  Sometimes when it gets really hot it droops a bit.  But overall, I think it's doing okay.  And that little baby crookneck is actually growing!  So I think I pollinated it successfully.  It's the only female to bloom yet--the rest have been males.  Which is typical, I think.  But I'm looking forward to trying this squash.  Crookneck squash is one of my favorites!


That's two crookneck plants in there.  Very bushy!
Happy little squish!

I'm a big fan of Crookneck, so I was very excited to have the opportunity to have our picture taken together!

So anyway, the cucumbers are vining like mad, and I'm getting some blooms.  I'm just hoping I also get cucumbers, and not just vines and blooms.  Either way, it's pretty with them spilling out of the box like that!  I had to prune them quite a bit to open up the base of the plant, otherwise I was going to have some major fungus going on down there.

Vine-a-riffic!


And I might be mistaken, but I do believe one of Scruffy's little green cherries is beginning to transition colors!  I might just be hoping that's what's happening, of course.  Time will tell!

Is it just me, or are you getting a little less green?

And finally, this is what happens if you're lame like me and say to yourself, "Oh crud, I forgot sunscreen... oh well, I suppose one day without sunscreen is no big deal, right?"  Wrong.

It burns!  It burns!

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Learning how to hobby-garden on my patio and in a small flower bed. I live in the pacific northwest, so it can be pretty challenging with all the rain we get, and with the short growing season.