Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Scruffy is as tall as the stakes!

Check him out!


My apologies for the crummy photo quality.

I planted a second wave of bush beans.  I can't remember if I mentioned it before.  Either way, here they are.  Adorable, aren't they?


I'm experiencing deja vu right now.

Squishy is doing okay, but he's starting to struggle a little bit.  I think it might be a watering issue, but it might also be a nutrient issue.  I'm still trying to get to the bottom of it.  It seems like the soil isn't absorbing the water all that well.  I'll water until it starts trickling out the drainage holes, but then when I feel through into the side of the bag, the soil is still dry.  I gave it a good long soak today, so I'm hoping the soil was thirsty enough.  I have several females growing, but some of the younger ones are aborting immediately after closing.  Which may be normal.  I sure wouldn't know.  I do know that unfertilized female squashlings will abort, but I sorta thought that took a couple of days.  Maybe I'm just imagining it that way, haha.

Squishy Junior is thriving so far, and growing huge already!  We had some high temps last weekend, and Junior was loving it.


I narrowed them down to two plants.  I have a backup plan this time!  Go me!

I seriously need to move Junior.  This is just not going to work.  Some rearranging is in order, possibly tomorrow.  Although tomorrow is the fourth, so I'm not sure if the garden will be open.

In other news, Climby grew eight feet tall and then fell over.  As it turns out, five foot stakes just don't cut it.  Poor things got too heavy for their own good, even with the support of one another.


What happened to Climby's head?

Oh, there it is.  Hey, it does make kind of a neat arch thingy!  ...Yes, I did this on purpose, for the artistic factor.

Stunty is finally no longer stunted!  Suddenly they just exploded into legitimate plants.  As previously mentioned, they have baby beans growing on them.  I hope they turn out yummy.


Row of glory.

Biggest of the bunch.

And as a salute to the independence of our great country, America, I leave you with this pretty, patriotic (sort of) photo, courtesy of Nora Frances, who raided my flower garden and threw her spoils into the pool.


Oh beautiful for spacious pools, for scarlet... something something...

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Learning how to hobby-garden on my patio and in a small flower bed. I live in the pacific northwest, so it can be pretty challenging with all the rain we get, and with the short growing season.